Wednesday, June 09, 2010

This just in; monsters, ghosts, live in mirrors.

Is that actually your reflection?

New evidence is in that supports one side of the old saying. If you have a staring contest with your mirror, and win, then it means your eyeballs fell out.

The horror movie "Mirrors" is not what is considered a recent release; but what does that mean in the current age? People say that America has a one week attention span. There have been approximately 168 hours after the serial action series 24 first broadcast on November 6, 2001 and 48 hours and one Redemption before now, was the film Mirrors (2008)

However, during the time Jack Bauer has been foiling evil-doers one day at a time, there have been too few good horror movies. The term "Good Horror Film" may be subjective; probably has to be. I recommend this movie because it blends long held horror movie principles together in a surprisingly creepy well done movie with an even plot, some mystery, some gore that seems to have found it's way out of the genre in anything produced above a 3 million dollar budget; most of all, it's just, well, scary.

Not frightened. Frightened is "Oh, dear god are these sniffles a symptom of Swine flu?"

Scared. The setting is becomingly bleak. Poor down on his luck ex-cop (he doesn't know he's an ex-cop but it is being made apparent to him) separated from a family that he needs, goes job hunting and takes a job in the creepiest abandoned fire damaged closed department store in New York City, that has a violent past. Shortly after his first night, gruesome, violent, charbroiled shadows of the buildings death soaked past begin to happen. Antics ensue.

Usually at this point in the movie the tone is set, recently, set and remains so, attempting to lock the viewer into a tight corner for the rest of the film and tying the plot up into a clean downer-ending. This has it's place, but when it is over used it can seem like a big middle finger stuck up in front of your face.

Jack Bauer- I mean, Kiefer Sutherland, is good in the role of a brooding dark personality; take for instance the 1990 classic Flatliners. I thought he delivered in his role of Ben Carson. The hero of this tale.

Ben was a detective and he tries to unravel the all of the department store's secrets. He is a dogged investigator, you know that your guy is on the right track when he kidnaps an old lady from a convent at gunpoint.

That should be the only spoiler. I promise. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

I can't give it tomatoes because, well, this is a blog. So I'll give it 8 eyeballs rolling around in the sink.

Speaking of eyeballs, didn't Kiefer Sutherland take a baseball cap from Wesley Crusher in Stand By Me, and give it to a guy named Eyeball? I wonder if that kid ever got his hat back... Wesley's dead big brother gave him that hat.

I haven't been as freaked out about mirrors since I saw Candy man.

No comments: